Garage doors can be seen as a non-dangerous part of your home. Your Garage keeps your family safe from unwanted intruders and from extreme weather conditions. All this is true but nevertheless, we need to keep in mind that this is a large and massive electrical appliance that could pose a danger to you and your family members if not properly maintained. May is Garage Door Safety Month, an initiative of the International Door Association (IDA). At The Door Master, we care about the safety of our customers and their families.
Here are some easy tips to make sure your garage door is safe:
- LOOK at the garage door, springs, cables and rollers for wear and tear.
- LISTEN for grinding or scraping sounds.
- Keep the garage door opener and remote control out of reach of children.
- Keep fingers and hands away from door sections and moving doors.
- Make sure that the garage doors are closed and that the remote controls are out of sight to deter theft.
- REMEMBER if you find any concerns regarding your garage door, contact a trained garage door professional.
All four tips sound simple? They are! But sometimes our busy life makes us forget about checking and inspecting our garage door. We at The Door Master understand and know that for fact and just for that reason, we have a preventive maintenance program. The Preventative maintenance is done by one of our garage door experts to make sure that not only is your garage door working properly but it is safe. We recommended that this type of inspection be done 2-4 times a year.
If you suspect any problems with your door system, or if you have any questions regarding garage door safety month, contact us at (905) 326-5800 to talk with one of our consultants or book an appointment with one of our experts.